High School Biology
During my sophomore year of high school I was enrolled in biology. I also think that was the same year that the class as a whole took the writing test. I guess the county wanted to see if the students could actually write about what they had been learning over the past two years. Anyway, once every six weeks, we would have to write a one to two page essay on something related to biology. We were not limited to what text we could use, a magazine, news paper, or library book. I liked to use the magazine, National Geographic.
I remember skimming the magazine to find something to write about. Sometimes it would take me hours to find something interesting to write about, and others I would have the whole assignment done in thirty minutes. At this point in my education I wasn’t too fond of writing, so it was a chore to me to complete this assignment. I think I got good grades on all of my writings, even the writings that were not biology related. I remember reading a bunch of great information that I would have never learned in our text that year.
I think this would be a great exercise to share with my future students. Picking a media source of their choice and writing a page or two about what they read and how it what impact it could have, sounds like a great way to be proactive about science as a subject. Science is an evolving subject and always changing. If by doing this assignment, I would like for them to know that and take that knowledge with them.

I think that is an excellent idea. Engaging your students by letting them pick an alternative media for a writing exercise will probably make them more invested in the assignment.
ReplyDelete