My First Attempts at Reading
My earliest memory of trying to read is from a very young age at around five. I can remember my mother looking inside a book for a rather long while. I did not understand what she was doing and wondered what had her so captivated. When she finally walked away from the book and set it down on the coffee table I rushed over to inspect the book. As I flipped through the pages I was confused as there were no pictures. The book was filled with page after page of letters in no certain order. How could someone find this so very interesting I remember thinking to myself?
My second attempt at reading was very embarrassing to me as a young child in Kindergarten. Since I was new at school I had recently made a new friend and wanted to spend lots of time with her. Seeing that my new friend was going to the restroom, I too wanted to go and chat with her. By the time I had raised my hand and had gotten permission from the teacher, she and another student with cowboy boots and a boy were already gone. As I made my way down the hall to where the restrooms were I remember looking at the signs. I stood for quite some time trying to ponder which one I should pick. To say the least I picked the wrong one. As I timidly walked into the room I didn’t notice my friend or hear her response when I called her name. Naturally, like any kid the age of five, I looked under the stalls and to my horror I saw the cowboy boots! I quickly ran out of the boy’s restroom and into the girls where I finally found my friend.
At the young age of five I was really confused and embarrassed by reading. I didn’t understand or make sense of what was on the pages of books. How could someone be so fascinated by a book? As I have grown up through the years I am an avid reader. I even find humor about my Kindergarten bathroom horror story.

Patricia,
ReplyDeleteDidn't know about your adventures in the Navy - sounds fascinating. I had a similar experience of being stranded somewhere and I picked up the Hunger Games - and flew through the first two books in two days.
Loved your image of the NatGeo book entitled Visions of Earth Beauty>Majesty>Wonder - I just love the message of the subtitle. It is first about wonder and awe, only then does any of the rest of all that science learning even matter!
Thanks for sharing,
Barb