Not All Books Are Just for Kids.
While in the Navy, I was underway, or out to sea a lot. On one instance we were out to sea for a week performing work up trials for our shock trial. Since I was on a new class of guided missile destroyers, the ship had to undergo strenuous test and trials. One of these said trails were the dreaded shock trials, where they detonate high level of explosives next to the ship’s hull to determine if the ship can handle the shock wave. On the first trial we were in our assigned locations for what seemed like forever. We didn’t get to do the first shock trial that day due to the fact that sea turtles “might” have been spotted by PETA. Ugh!!!
The next day was slotted for a repeat trail. Not having anything to do, a senior enlisted member suggested that I read the first book of the Harry Potter Series. I had previously turned my nose up at the children’s book. Why would I read a children’s book when I was an adult? Having nothing better to do or read I picked up the book. To say the least, I had a hard time trying to put the book down. I read the whole book in the span of two days and had such a fever to read the next book in the series. I had the next two books in the series less than 24 hours after we pulled back into port.
It still amazes me that I find children’s books and young adult books fascinating. It is a shame that it took me quite a while to arrive to the conclusion that I liked a broader genre of book. I enjoyed reading all the Harry Potter Books which I finished the last novel in my late twenties. I think that by providing different reading levels in the classroom setting, I should be able to reach all children. Not all will be reading on the same level or will they have the same interest. I think by having a broader range of material would be a benefit of the class.
If it is well written and engages you, it really doesn't matter if it was aimed at a particular age group. I still read 'The Hobbit' and the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy regularly, and 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Huckleberry Finn'. Heck, I even read Dr Seuss occasionally. In fact, one of the great perks of having grandchildren is re-reading great children's literature, under the guise of reading it to the kids, of course!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Don! If the book is well written then why not to enjoy it. I know that in your classroom you will be able to reach kids by allowing them read books of varied levels. When they read one of a lower or more elementary level and become interested, then as a teacher you will be able to "trick" them into reading a high level book of the same subject. As teachers, we have to play to tastes of the students sometimes. I have to do it with the plays that we read in class. Once they like an easier play, I typically take them up a level the next time.
ReplyDeleteThe way you talk about Harry Potter is the way I felt about The Hunger Games trilogy. I finished the first book and had to read the rest. Luckily, I was not stuck aboard a ship. (Of course, I would be on a ship anyway, but that has nothing to do with literary growth or your blog post.:) )