Friday, May 25, 2012

My Reading Journey Part 2

Growing up I didn’t read the classic novels that so many children read. My mom, an elementary education teacher, picked out the Newberry Award books to add to my library collection. When I was required to read for an hour during the summer I remember looking at the pictures in the award books. I think the pictures in the Whipping Boy piqued my curiosity enough to start reading about them. I loved the story about the Whipping Boy and thought it funny how a prince had a boy to take his punishments for him. I read many Newberry Award books throughout school including: Sarah, Plain and Tall, Jacob Have I Loved, Bridge to Terabithia, Sounder, and my favorite – A Wrinkle in Time.
As I went through middle school I found myself reading more and more of the Newberry Awards book. These books were either required reading for class or reading just for fun. It wasn’t until high school and college when I got into the classics like 1984, Animal Farm, The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird and my favorite – The Great Gatsby. To say the least, I preferred the Newberry Award books to most of the classic novels. I found most of the classics to be very boring and dry. There were a few that caught my interest, like the Great Gatsby.
By reading outside the norm (the Newberry Award books), I don’t have to require my students to read the classics. I learned that both books were widely used throughout my education and both were required readings. I think what matters the most is not “what” you read, but that you read period.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the important thing is that the student read, and I agree that it is appropriate to let students read things of their own choosing (so long as it is otherwise appropriate). However, sometimes the book being taught isn't being taught as a reading or research exercise per se, but being taught for what it is. Some great books are part of the lexicon, part of our cultural literacy, and have to be taught for their own sake, don't they

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be about the fact that you are reading as opposed to what you read. There are many books that fit into the reading level categories that are set out for elementary, middle, and high school students. Teachers should allow students to read and study books that interest them instead of requiring certain books that interest the teachers. This would probably help combat the negative view that most students have of reading in schools.

    ReplyDelete