Dear
Students,
I look forward to having you in my
science class this year! I am so very excited to teach and help you learn the
wonderful information that we will cover this year. One thing that can be very
scary about science is the vernacular or vocabulary. However I have devised many
fun strategies to help you learn the vocabulary. Once you have mastered the vocabulary
you will be able to understand and make connections throughout the text.
Another scary thing about science is
the amount of new information that we will be reading in the text. If you able
to understand what I am writing to you in this letter, then congratulations –
you are literate! If you are having problems understanding what I am talking
about, then never fear. I have devised many strategies to help you understand
what you are reading. There will not be a test on this letter – which I think
everyone can understand.
Even though science can be a
daunting subject, I am here to make sure that we have fun through learning.
Learning, yes I know that that does not sound fun, but if you keep a positive attitude,
I can show you how fun science can be. I do not believe in a boring lecture and
reading straight from the book. I will use many tools in my classroom to make
this year your most memorable. We will be listening to songs, watching videos,
looking at many interactive websites, and participating in many hands on
science labs. And yes, there will be projects to complete both in a group and
own your own.
Projects? Did I just say projects?
Yes, there will be a few projects to complete that deal with writing and
research. I too am groaning along with you. However, I have many strategies to
make these projects fun, and before you know that you have even started the
project, you will be done. How can that be you ask? Well, I guess you will just
have to wait and see and take my word for it. One quote that I want all of you
to know by heart and to use with all your subjects is a quote by Rudyard
Kipling, “I keep six honest serving-men, (They taught me all I knew); Their
names are What and Why and When, And How and Where and Who. I send them over
land and sea, I send them east and west; But after they have worked for me, I
give them all a rest.”
Kipling,
Rudyard. (1902). "The Elephant's Child." In The Kipling Society.
Retrieved June 24, 2012, from
http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_serving.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment