Sunday, June 3, 2012

Top Ten Strategies 1, 2 and 3


Exit Slip
Exit slips are written student responses to questions teachers pose at the end of a class or lesson. These one to five minute assessments can help the teacher to quickly assess the students understanding of the material. Teachers can then use these to help plan the next class. I plan on using this strategy after reviewing new materials in science. One to five minutes before class lets out, I will have the students get out a piece of paper and ask to them to either write one questing that they had over the material or one new fact that they learned that day.
 
KWL
The KWL strategy stands for what I Know, what I Want to learn, and what I did Learn. By tapping into the student’s background knowledge, this strategy can improve comprehension of expository text. The KWL strategy is also used as an organizational tool because it allows students to identify known information about a given subject. This strategy can help students feel more comfortable with their comprehension of a subject because it goes through each step separately so that comprehension comes easier. KWL will be a great strategy to use in the classroom even with LEP students. With KWL, I can provide a template for the students at the end of a unit that has prompts at the beginning of each column to assist them with knowing what information to include in each column. I will allow the students to work in pairs and then share their information with the rest of the class.
 
Graphic Organizers
Graphic Organizers are great strategies that help students classify and communicate more effectively. This strategy asks students to arrange groups of ideas to show relationships among them. Graphic organizers are also a tool that is used by teachers to get their students more involved in their lessons. This would be a great tool to use when comparing and contrasting similar objects in science. For example, when talking about physical and chemical properties, a graphic organizer would be a great strategy and a review tool to use instead of note taking.

 

1 comment:

  1. These are classic and useful strategies! Be sure to note which students they would most benefit.

    ReplyDelete